Makes 4 | Prep: 10 minutes | Cook: 15 minutes
6 PersonalPoints per waffle
Hot cross bun meets waffle in these easy to make, Easter-themed treats. All the usual flavours you know and love from a hot cross bun, like sultanas, cinnamon and mixed spice, are added to the mix. The mixed peel is optional, but we recommend using it for the full flavour experience. If you can't be bothered with the cross paste, you can dust cinnamon over the top in a cross pattern instead.
- ½ cup (75g) plain flour, plus 1 tbs extra for cross paste
- 1½ tsp caster sugar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp mixed spice
- ½ tsp ground nutmeg
- 1 egg
- ½ cup (125ml) skim milk
- 3 tsp sunflower oil
- ¼ cup (45g) sultanas
- 1 tbs mixed peel (optional)
- Preheat the WW Mini Waffle Maker. Lightly spray both cooking surfaces with oil.
- Sift flour, sugar, baking powder, spices and ¼ teaspoon salt into a medium bowl and make a well in the centre. Whisk egg, milk and oil in a separate bowl. Pour egg mixture into well of flour mixture and whisk to combine. Stir in sultanas and mixed peel (if using).
- To make cross paste, mix 1 tablespoon flour and 2½ teaspoons water in a small bowl until it forms a thick paste (see tip). Transfer into a reusable piping bag or squeezy bottle and set aside.
- Slowly pour ¼ cup batter (see tip) onto the bottom cooking surface of waffle maker. Pipe cross paste over the top to make a cross pattern. Pull cover down to enclose waffle. Cook for 3-4 minutes, until golden and cooked through. Transfer waffle to a plate using a rubber spatula and cover with a clean tea towel to keep warm. Repeat with remaining batter to make 4 waffles in total, lightly spraying cooking surfaces with oil halfway through. Serve warm.
- The sultanas will sink to the bottom of your batter, so make sure you spoon some into your ¼ cup measure when measuring out.
- If your cross paste is too watery, it won’t cook right in the waffle maker. It needs to be thick, so add more flour if it turns out watery.
- Serve with maple syrup for extra sweetness.